- Robert Shumake says green technology is a sign of the times and our future economy will hinge on green businesses and real estate to the tune of billions of dollars.
- Robert Shumake, local entrepreneur and philanthropist, dreams of backing a charter school to prepare today’s youth to be tomorrow’s leaders.
- The Shumake Academy for the Advancement of Green Business and Real Estate in Detroit will offer Detroit students unparalleled opportunity to earn their place at the forefront of the new global economy.
- Here are some of the tenets of the school’s curriculum, based on the award-winning Kipp Academy of Houston, and written using a $500,000 grant from the Michigan Department of Education:
- Shumake Academy will have flat screen TVs broadcasting Bloomberg News in the hallways, a Wall Street Journal in every classroom and a laptop on every desk.
- Shumake Academy will partner with major corporations, inviting CEOs to forge relationships with students and participate in their education. Students will serve internships at these same companies, and earn college credits before they graduate.
- The curriculum at this charter academy will not be easy. Parents will have to sign a contract declaring their support of longer instructional days and mandatory summer classes. But Shumake believes that is the only way to prepare students for success in our ever more competitive world.
- The school’s mission is in keeping with Shumake’s life’s work to make education accessible to minority youth as a path to financial success and empowerment. “Education is always the foundation for wealth but entrepreneurship is how you create it,” Shumake has said.
- If you would like to support the Shumake Academy for the Advancement of Green Business and Real Estate, we ask that you write a letter to the decision-maker at Lake Superior State University at the following address:
- Bruce T. Harger, Ph.D. Director of Public School Academy Operations
- Lake Superior State University
- 650 W. Easterday Avenue
- Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan 49783
- Telephone: 906-632-6841 Fax: 906-635-2111
Have Questions? Contact: Lisa Maas Founder/Owner, Publicity Works
306 S. Washington Ave., Suite 208
Royal Oak, MI 48167